Monday, January 23, 2012

Retirements and Replacements


“I have done it all for my country. When they wanted me to keep wickets in a Test Match, I did that. When they wanted me to open in a Test Match, I did that. Then when they wanted me to go back to number six, I did that. When everyone resigned and when they asked me whether I could captain, I did that. I don't care about losing the captaincy. I have done it all for my country. T.M dilshan"


The following was said by Dilshan after  Sri Lanka's victory in Kimberley in the 4th ODI.In a way the lines epitomize who Dilshan is.The ultimate utility player,Bowler,Batsmen,Wicket keeper,Point fielder he has done it all.
It is unfortunate he was not successful as a captain but it should be noted that he is at his best when he is uncluttered by responsibility.Also he took captaincy at a time nobody wanted it.

However his skill as a player did not make him an astute captain.His decision to bowl first at Cape Town can be considered as baffling(to put it mildly)and it gave away a golden opportunity to level the series.Therefore I guess the right decision is made in giving Mahela the captiancy even though it is not exactly a move towards the future.

With the appointment of Mahela also comes the appointment of the new Sri lankan cricket Coach Graham Ford.This one decision that struck me as extremely harsh.Firstly I feel that it is ironic for a man to be judged on performances by a board which is grossly incompetent and dishonest. Also there word out in the field is that Marsh works as hard as anyone in the team in getting the players ready for the match.The talk of him worrying more about his son Shaun playing for Australia  is just absolute pettiness.It is extremely unfair to the man that only was in charge for 2 series to judged so.Also its interesting to ponder on the fact that Graham Ford had declined the role when it was first offered and now his team the Dolphins have yet to win a game in the super sport series and lie at the bottom of the table but hey everybody goes through bad patches right?


No comments:

Post a Comment